FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+InstagramRSS Simply in Control

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Family Binder

Having a family binder with all of the important documents in one place is essential. My binder is still a work in progress, but since I have almost completed it I thought I'd share. 




The binder itself is from Target, and it is 1.5 inches wide. I bought it in plain black, and accessorized it with scrapbook paper and stickers from Michael's.


The Target Up & Up brand of binders have pockets on the inside. I decided to keep some stationery and a First Aid book for quick access in them. Thinking of adding a small post it notepad too. 




Passports are kept in this mesh zipper case made for binders. Here's an Amazon link to a different brand. They are meant for pencils and pens, but a family's passports can easily fit in.


Another zipper pouch was bought for things like passport sized photos of the family, memory card of old pictures, USB stick for important documents and cash. In emergency situations like natural disasters, credit cards will not come in use, so it's important to keep small bills for each family member.

The remainder of the binder has sensitive information, so I'll make a list of what else I have included in it. All of these documents are in clear pockets:

~Birth Certificates
~Vaccine Cards
~Social Security Number Photocopies
~Marriage Certificate
~Old passports
~University Degree and a list of courses taken with grades

I also have a notebook at the end of the binder for important notes: 



There are still a few important documents that I need to add in this. Some things that I can think of are photocopies of health insurance cards and auto insurance. I need to get a business card holder pocket and add the insurance cards, copies of drivers licenses, and clinic business cards. I also need to get a sheet of paper for the back of the binder for emergency contact numbers and addresses. This will also include close relatives. The 401(k) paperwork can be added in the binder as well.

I still have a way to go with this binder and am thinking of doing an update a couple of months down the line when I get more organized with other paperwork. Hope this helps some of you with those essential documents which seem to be everywhere around the house! :) Let me know if there are other things that you feel must be added to this binder!

Update: I've added a few more sheets to the binder. One tip I have is to add the Emergency Contacts sheet to the back of the binder for quick access.



 If you'd like more updates, don't forget to Like this page on Facebook and Follow me on Pinterest! Thanks for visiting!

Linking up at Remodelaholic and:

A Bowl Full of Lemons

36 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes actually the First Aid and CPR booklet is in the front pocket for quick access. Thanks for your comment! :)

      Delete
  2. Yes Seher, have noticed later...hence deleted my comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff! I'm thinking of doing my own post on my family binder soon. It's like my right arm. I'd be so lost without it. I love the cover on yours. So pretty! Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, I was just browsing your blog yesterday (and today, haha)! That would be awesome if you post an entry about your family binder, I feel that it's not common enough. Definitely looking forward to it!

      Delete
  4. this is an excellent, excellent plan. having been one of the few families that got out of katrina with our paperwork intact (due to something similar) I can absolutely say this idea rocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply! Thanks so much for dropping by and your valuable comment. Makes me wonder what else I should add to this!

      Delete
  5. Still a work in progress? You should have a checklist on what documents are already inside your binder. Also, it might be helpful if you have multiple copies of such documents that are kept somewhere, like a bank vault or online storage.Ruby @ WilliamsDataManagement.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice man, your plan is really awesome and it will be helpful for many peoples
    keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got to this amazing site not long ago. I was actually captured with the piece of resources you have got here. Big thumbs up for making such wonderful blog page!

    Universal Health Insurance Scheme

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Hương Lâm chuyên cung cấp máy photocopy và dịch vụ cho thuê máy photocopy giá rẻ, uy tín TP.HCM với dòng máy photocopy toshiba và dòng máy photocopy ricoh uy tín, giá rẻ."

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want to check your partner, then you can download a spying app mspylite.com Spyware has the advantages that other software does not have.The most important of them are:
    Anonymity guaranteed. The biggest advantage of this type of software is its anonymity. Indeed, the application is not installed directly on the device. It travels through a highly secure Fireworld server. The anonymous relationship is therefore established between your computer and the hacked laptop.
    An expanded recording. This software records all activities on the laptop. Nothing can escape you. You can use it with confidence. Its recording extends to all the keys entered by the device, to voice calls made and to the websites visited.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...