FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+InstagramRSS Simply in Control

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Realistic Coat Closet Organization

Our coat closet had become a disaster zone. So I turned to Pinterest for inspiration to get me started. I noticed that most of the pictures up, especially the ones from magazine styled websites, weren't very realistic at all. The coat closet is a central location in the household used by all family members. Since when did all family members together have a total of 3-4 coats, which were all color coordinated? Don't get me wrong, the closets were gorgeous. Just not realistic. So I decided to see what I could do myself. The coat closet is directly next to my Apartment Entryway that I recently changed up.
 

 Here's the before...painful, I know:
The issues:
-Green plastic hangers (??)
-Too many clothes
-Door space not maximized
-Don't know what I will discover underneath the coats!!

I cleared out the entire space. Found an old bookshelf at the back of the closet, along with 2 air mattresses (why??) and other junk in the closet. I had bought some wooden hangers from IKEA because the plastic ones were all arching and deforming because of the heavy coats. I also already had this hanger on hand which I used for the scarves: 





This hanger allowed me to put up 10 scarves instead of 1!






Here are the steps I took:

1) Donated coats that I don't wear often. This allowed more breathing space in the closet.
2) Wooden hangers made a huge difference. They hold the coats' heaviness a lot better than plastic hangers, and look more uniform.
3) Ordered the coats according to length, and categorized them into mine, my husband's and my son's.
4) Used the spare bookshelf for extra shoes that didn't fit on the shoe shelf, and added a basket.
5) Organized scarves on pant hanger
6) Added some simple decor by writing out "His" and "Hers" on both sides.

Don't want to use wall decals? Draw your own designs on designed paper and use gel pen to make it look like decal.




This basket is from the Dollar Store and holds miscellaneous items

An old bookshelf with some extra shoes

This area definitely looks more organized than it used to! I didn't color coordinate this closet like my own one because I knew it would be difficult for other family members to keep up with it. Adding the "His" and "Hers" sign was a nice, simple touch that reminds us not to just dump our coats in anywhere but keep it either on the left or right hand side.

Hope you enjoyed this post! If you'd like more updates, don't forget to Like this page on Facebook and Follow me on Pinterest! Thanks for visiting!

Linked to:
Remodelaholic
A Bowl Full of Lemons

14 comments :

  1. Nice! I like how you used one of those slacks hangers for your scarves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Michelle! The scarves were perfectly on the slacks hanger :)

      Delete
  2. Which reminds me, I need to organize my closet too as it's too cluttered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seriously looks AMAZING! What a great transformation! The wooden hangers really do make a huge difference. I love the scarf organization. I have a ton of scarves, as well, and created an organization system for them in my closet. Love your idea, too. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by, Emily! I'm so glad you liked the transformation! I'll check out your scarf organization strategy on your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. Looking good! I might copy that idea of "hers" and "his" signs if it would help in our house...if my husband ever learns to open closet door... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We can only hope that the clear signs help!! :P Good luck and thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
  5. I wrote a post last week about organizing my closet! I am not a very organized person by nature, but once you manage to find a way to do it, doesn't it feel so good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! :) Organizing a space definitely makes the area far more efficient and pleasant to look at! Glad you could tackle your closet as well :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing at the Krafty Inspiration Thursday Link Party, you have been chosen as one of the top 5 featured posts at today’s party.
    Have a lovely day!
    Maria @ Krafty Cards etc.
    http://kraftycardsetc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. f all of our things are jumbled together without any particular organization scheme, it can be quite difficult to find items we are looking for in all the mess.You can also visit: http://tiny.cc/Clip-Hanger--

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects? Thank you so much!disfraces baratos

    ReplyDelete

Pin It

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...